Monday 16 June 2008

Dave, Trevor, Pablo and Tango.

Someone slap me, quick. Why am I getting chickens, isn't 1 dog, 2 cats, and 1 rabbit enough to be going on with, what do I need with chickens. Well eggs I suppose, and good manure, and, pets for the children. And more work, and running up the garden in the pouring rain and snow and cold to feed and water and collect eggs and clean out, ok wheres that slap, give it to me now before it's too late.

I've built almost 2 runs this week. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, 'cheap' get it. I know I've got some wood in the garage, someone gave it to me for a bonfire and it was new wood, much to good for a bonfire so I saved it, was going to build a one of those hexaganol things you sit under to take tea. Anyway I found 2 pieces, retrieved the other two piece I'd nailed together to make a clothes prop and an old picnic table the kids had when they were small er. got half way through and decided that the wood was too rotten and wasn't going to last a sparrow landing on it let alone a chicken being chased by a dog.

Off to B&Q for some more and find a bundle of 8 sticks 6 foot long. That'll do, it'll have to do at that price. Have you seen the price of chicken wire, I need £30 worth for this chicken run, when did chicken wire get so expensive, ever since I decided to keep chickens I bet. Anyway, back home and we set about building the run again, I think it will be ok this time, we've run out of screws, so another trip back to B&Q.

I've ordered the chickens, 4 brown ones who I'm assured love children and like company, shame cause Dave, Trevor, Pablo and Tango, (don't ask) will be down the bottom of the garden on their own. They're coming home on Monday. I have till Monday to change me mind, see sense and get lynched by the kids if I change my mind. So Monday it is. Omlette anyone.

No comments: